Comment on page
Archived on 2022/06/14. Information is out of date.
- Upgrade to
likecoin/likecoin-chain:sheungwan-2image to support
halt-timeparameter for upgrade purpose.
- Make sure you have all keys
backed up properly, in case anything disastrous happens.
- operator key in
.likeclifolder, or in mnemonic format,
- node key in
- consensus key in
- Pass the proposal, determining the date, time, software version and parameters of the upgrade
- Change the node config, so it will automatically halt at the determined upgrade time
- Run a web conference with other validators
- Need to discuss export height and genesis time in realtime
- Export keys and files
- Export node key and consensus key by copying the key files
- Export address book by copying the key files
- Create new genesis
- Determine export height
- Determine new chain genesis time
- Export old chain state
- Migrate old chain state to new chain genesis
- Verify new chain state
- Setup new chain node
- Initialize new chain node
- Import new chain state
- Import operator key
- Import node key and consensus key
- Import address book
- Migrate operator key
- Start the node and wait for what would happen at the new chain genesis time
- 1.Go into the running likecoin-chain node folder:cd likecoin-chain
- 2.Fetch the latest repo:git fetch
- 3.Switch to the
sheungwan-2software commit:git checkout sheungwan-2
- 4.Shutdown the current node:docker-compose down
docker-compose.yml.template:cp docker-compose.yml docker-compose.yml.sheungwan-1cp docker-compose.yml.template docker-compose.ymlcp .env.template .env
.envfile to fill in the details, including chain parameters and custom parameters:
LIKECOIN_UID: normally keep it as
"1000"is fine, but if you are using root user under Linux (e.g. in some VPS) then you should change it to
LIKECOIN_MONIKER: any name you want to call your node. Will be displayed on validator list as the name of the validator.
- 7.Start the nodedocker-compose up -d
- 8.Check the logs:docker-compose logs --tail 100 -fYou should see the node synchronizing the blocks from the network. You may stop the display of the logs by
Ctrl+Cat anytime, it won't stop the node operation.
- 9.Check the software version:docker-compose run --rm liked-command versionYou should see
- 1.Raise and pass a proposal on the upgrade.To raise a proposal, one of the validators run the following command:docker-compose run --rm likecli-command \tx gov submit-proposal \--chain-id likecoin-chain-sheungwan \--node tcp://liked-service:26657 \--from validator \--title "Upgrade software version to fotan-1" \--type text \--description <DESCRIPTION>Modify the parameters:
<DESCRIPTION>: the content of the proposal, which should include some introduction to the upgrade, and also the following contents:
- the halt time (in both human-readable format with timezone, and also Unix timestamp)
- the new chain parameters for the new ISCN module, namely:
- ISCN registry name
- ISCN fee per byte
- the new software version (in Git commit hash)
- and the new chain ID (e.g.
- 2.After the creation of the proposal, one may query the content of the proposal by:docker-compose run --rm likecli-command \query gov proposals \--chain-id likecoin-chain-sheungwan \--node tcp://liked-service:26657This will also show the proposal ID (should be
1for the first proposal).
- 3.To pass the proposal, all validators vote for the proposal by running:docker-compose run --rm vote 1 yesWhich means
vote "yes" in proposal ID 1.
- 4.After the proposal is passed, setup chain halt time by modifying
.envfile and changing
LIKECOIN_HALT_TIMEto the Unix timestamp of the halt time in the proposal.
- 5.Restart the chain node by running:docker-compose up -d
- 6.Run the following command:docker-compose top liked-serviceCheck the number after
CMDcolumn. You should see the Unix timestamp you have just set in the
.envfile instead of
- 7.Jot down the content of the proposal, since chain explorers and APIs may not work during upgrade.
- 1.Right before the upgrade, validators should jot down the content of the proposal, since chain explorers and APIs may not work during the upgrade.
- 2.Validators should hold a meeting right before the upgrade time for discussing issues during the upgrade.
- 3.When the upgrade time comes, the chain node should be halt automatically.
- 4.Go into the node folder:cd likecoin-chain
- 5.Turn down the node:docker-compose stop
- 6.Check the consensus public key:docker-compose run --rm liked-command tendermint show-validatorRecord the output as consensus public key for later verification.
- 7.Check the node ID:docker-compose run --rm liked-command tendermint show-node-idRecord the output as node ID for later verification
- 8.Check the halting height of the node by:docker-compose run --rm liked-command show-height
- 9.Confirm with other validators for the minimum height of exporting the state. The principle is to have consent and prevent state lost. For example, if the heights are
1233for different validators, then validators may use
1233as the height for exporting state.
- 10.Export chain state:docker-compose run --rm liked-command \export --for-zero-height \--height <HEIGHT> \> exported.jsonWhere the
<HEIGHT>is the height confirmed with other validators in the previous step.
priv_validator_key.json(consensus key) and
addrbook.json(address book) from
.liked/configinto the fotan node folder:mkdir keyscp .liked/config/node_key.json \.liked/config/priv_validator_key.json \.liked/config/addrbook.json \keysThis is to preserve the same keys and address book for the new fotan node.
- 12.Discuss with others the new genesis time, should have consensus according to the progress of the majority.
- 13.Fetch the newest software branch for the upgrade:git fetch
- 14.Checkout to the new software:git checkout fotan-1
- 15.Use new template of
docker-compose.ymlfrom the new software:cp docker-compose.yml docker-compose.yml.oldcp docker-compose.yml.template docker-compose.yml
.envfor the new chain:
LIKECOIN_CHAIN_ID: the new chain ID specified in the proposal.
"0"so that the new chain node can start up.
"genesis.json". The init script will detect that it is a local file and copy it from the migrated genesis file generated in the next step.
- 17.Migrate genesis state:docker-compose run --rm liked-command \migrate /host/exported.json \--log_level "error" \--chain-id <NEW_CHAIN_ID> \--iscn-registry-name <ISCN_REGISTRY_NAME> \--iscn-fee-per-byte <ISCN_FEE_PER_BYTE> \--genesis-time <GENESIS_TIME> \--output /host/genesis.jsonWhere
<ISCN_FEE_PER_BYTE>should be modified to the values specified in the upgrade proposal, and
<GENESIS_TIME>is determined in the previous step (format:
YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ssZ, in UTC).
- 18.Archive the old
.likedfolder:mv .liked .liked-old
- 19.Compute the checksum of genesis state with others:sha256sum genesis.jsonFor Mac, use the following command instead:shasum -a 256 genesis.jsonVerify the output checksum with other validators.
- 20.Re-initialize the node:docker-compose run --rm initNote that this will create and write a new consensus public key at the end of
.envfile, which won't be used since we will use the original key instead. If you are already a validator, you will probably never use the field again so this is fine, but you are free to delete this line.
- 21.(optional) Configure the new node (
app.toml, both are in
minimum-gas-pricesif needed, see the setting in your sheungwan node config
[api]section, if you need a local RESTful API server, then set
true, and also setup the corresponding port mapping in
[p2p]section, if you don't want to use the
--get-ipoption in the command parameter when starting the node for retrieving your externally accessible IP from third parties, then you need to enter your external address and port in
- 22.Migrate the operator key:docker-compose run liked-command keys migrate /host/.likecliFollow the instructions to migrate the keys in the old keystore.For passphrases, the first one is for decrypting the old keystore, and the following 2 are for creating the new keystore.Note that when it asks
Skip key migration? [y/N]:,
not skipping, which is what we need.
- 23.Verify the operator key is properly imported:docker-compose run --rm liked-command keys listCheck if the key with operator's address is listed and is the same address as before.
- 24.Re-import node key, consensus key and address book:cp keys/node_key.json \keys/priv_validator_key.json \keys/addrbook.json \.liked/config
- 25.Verify the consensus key has been properly imported:docker-compose run --rm liked-command \tendermint show-validatorVerify that the output is the same as the previous recorded consensus public key.
- 26.Verify the node key has been properly imported:docker-compose run --rm liked-command \tendermint show-node-idVerify that the output is the same as the previous recorded node ID.
- 27.Restart the node:docker-compose up -d
- 28.Monitor the logs:docker-compose logs -f
- 29.Wait for the new genesis time to see if anything goes wrong.
- 30.Properly process the
keysfolders, so the credentials are not leaked.
If fatal issues happened during the upgrade (e.g. serious software bugs), then with the consent from the majority of the validators, validators may give up the upgrade and restart the SheungWan chain.
The procedure is simple:
- 1.Revert changes to
- 4.Start the node by
docker-compose up -d.
- 5.Wait for enough validators to get online.